[Iag-list] CFP: Transforming Mobilities online symposium 6-7 Dec 2021

David Bissell david.bissell at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 01:48:18 UTC 2021

Dear all,

We’re very excited to share details of our upcoming AusMob Mobilities Symposium on “Transforming Mobilities” being held 6-7 December 2021 via Zoom.

The COVID-19 pandemic has transformed mobilities in Australasia, Southeast Asia and globally. Restrictions on movement have changed migration possibilities; where and how work takes place; where people wish to live; what kinds of holidays people take; how people relate to their neighbourhoods; how communities organise collective action; and much more. Restrictions on movement have given rise to new bodily practices, new understandings of self and other, and altered social dynamics at various scales. Restrictions have also led to the emergence of new inequalities and exacerbated longstanding inequities. Understanding how mobility transformations are reshaping people and place has arguably never been so important.

This virtual symposium aims to showcase state-of-the-art research on the broad theme of mobility transformation. We invite papers from postgraduate researchers, early career researchers and more established scholars on all aspects of mobilities research from across the social sciences and humanities. Though papers can engage with issues of COVID-19, they do not have to. Mobility transformations can be understood in diverse ways, including in terms of sense-making, bodies, practices, technologies, logistics, finance, policies, environments and artistic expressions. Mobility transformations can be understood through diverse sites, including cities, rural and regional areas, workplaces, households and public space.

We have some fantastic keynote presenters lined up to speak:

  *   Weiqiang Lin, Department of Geography, National University of Singapore, Singapore
  *   Fran Martin, School of Culture & Communication, The University of Melbourne, Australia
  *   Rashmi Sadana, Department of Sociology & Anthropology, George Mason University, USA

The symposium will be free of charge and will take place virtually on Monday 6th and Tuesday 7th December (Australian Eastern Daylight Time). The format will be short paper presentations in panels followed by Q&A.

Please submit your paper abstract online at https://www.ausmob.com.au/ausmob-2021-symposium by Friday 17 September 2021. Please email us if you have any questions: ausmobnetwork at gmail.com<mailto:ausmobnetwork at gmail.com>.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

David
(on behalf of the AusMob committee: Thomas Birtchnell, Michelle Duffy, Farida Fozdar, Benjamin Iaquinto, David Radford, Lauren Rickards)

David Bissell | Associate Professor of Human Geography
School of Geography, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences | Faculty of Science
Room 2.33, 221 Bouverie St,
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 3889 E: david.bissell at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:david.bissell at unimelb.edu.au> | twitter.com/davidbissell
W: https://findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person792958
Transit Life book https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/transit-life
Gig Cities project https://www.gigcities.net