[Iag-list] AAG 2022 Call for Panelists - Content creators as educators

Cadey Korson C.Korson at massey.ac.nz
Fri Sep 24 03:18:38 UTC 2021

Apologies for cross-posting.

Kia ora Colleagues,

I am looking for a few more panellists to round out my virtual session at the 2022 AAG. If you have been ... experimenting with blended/hybrid learning, especially from a place-based perspective; creating your own digital media course content; upskilling in Adobe Illustrator; or spending hours watching YouTubers or listening to podcasts and thinking about how you can incorporate their style into your own content creation … Then this might be the right session for you. Regardless of the type of digital media content you produce, if you are interested in sharing about your creative journey (trials, tribulations, and successes!), send me an email (C.Korson at massey.ac.nz<mailto:C.Korson at massey.ac.nz>) with a short expression of interest by 15 October.

Content creators as educators: From vlogging and podcasting to augmented reality and animation
Sponsored by the Geography Education Specialty Group

A 2018 Pew Research Center study of American YouTube users found that 87% of respondents use the site to learn something new and 43% use it to learn about what is going on in the world (Smith et al 2018). The YouTube ‘university’ is a highly engaging and competitive market for education. At the same time, ongoing pandemic-related restrictions have shifted learning online, requiring quality digital media content that can replace lectures and solutions to student inequities that make accessing learning materials difficult. To further complicate the evolving situation: how do we – as educators – foster a sense of belonging, of place, amongst our students while using placeless virtual platforms. Blended or hybrid learning, flipped classrooms and digital place-based learning techniques, while not new approaches, do offer new ways of addressing the challenges of this shifting environment. And there are important lessons to be learned about engagement, storytelling and production value, from YouTubers, content creators and podcast personalities. Geography has benefited from a broad field of research dedicated to reflecting on teaching practice and course design, debating pedagogical approaches, incorporating technological innovations and assessing the effectiveness of our teaching methods. However, current research – especially in the blended learning space – has not yet explored the role of educator-created digital media content and its contribution to place based and experiential learning, cornerstones of geography education. This panel brings together a variety of educator-content creators to discuss the resources and ‘materials’ they create and experiment with, how they are incorporated into their courses, the challenges they have faced and pathways for tertiary institutions moving forward.

Ngā mihi,
Cadey

Cadey Korson, Ph.D., FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Human Geography
PEP-Albany Outreach Coordinator

School of People, Environment and Planning
Massey University
Private Bag 102904, North Shore
Auckland 0745, New Zealand
Tel.: +64 09 213 6475