[Iag-list] Call for papers: IGU Paris 2022 'Making time for plants'

Jenny Atchison jennya at uow.edu.au
Tue Nov 30 03:10:43 UTC 2021

Dear All,

Dr Catherine Phillips and I have proposed a session at the IGU in Paris in July 2022 titled 'Making time for plants'. Details on the session are noted below.

At this stage we are planning an in person session in Paris, Covid permitting. Details of the abstract submission process are also noted below. We ask that you send Jenny an email at the time of your submission alerting us to your interest, and stating your preference for in person or online presentation, noting that best laid plans are subject to last minute change.

Title Case: Making time for plants; marking the temporalities, rhythms and durations of vegetal life in times of crisis

Chair: Dr Jennifer Atchison, University of Wollongong, Australia EMail: jennya at uow.edu.au<mailto:jennya at uow.edu.au>

Co-chair: Dr Catherine Phillips, University of Melbourne, Australia  EMail: catherine.phillips1 at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:catherine.phillips1 at unimelb.edu.au>

Description of the session

Geographers are noting how recent crisis, disaster and emergency are reconstituting political and relational worlds. Scholarship on animals (Blue and Rock 2020; Gibbs 2020; Searl and Turnbull 2020) highlights both moments of rupture and continuity, underscoring that more-than-human analysis are critical for focusing attention on the radical and interconnected nature of contemporary change and for identifying insights that contribute toward ethical and sustainable futures. In this session, we turn our attention to plants by making time to consider how the temporalities, rhythms and durations of vegetal life and living with plants are currently being refigured, reworked and/or re-imagined. How are plants instigating, responding to, or enrolled within times of crisis? How durable or resistant are plant materialities and narratives in the reshaping of places during and after emergency? How are plant rhythms or durations in or out of synch with efforts to pursue more resilient futures? What are the methodological, political and/or ethical dilemmas in the rapid creation of new alliances with plants? These are some of the questions inspiring our thinking.
We invite papers that make time for plants from diverse disciplinary, theoretical and methodological positions. Themes may include but are not limited to:

-        Investigations of diverse timescales (palaeo/archaeo, heritage, colonial, speculative)

-        Explorations across space-times (annual/perennial/seasonal/oscillatory/aeon, house/garden/park/forest/biome)

-        Temporal continuities and disruptions (linear/circular, flourishing/dwindling, glut/scarcity)

-        Provocations and narratives of time and temporality within (human-plant) crisis and efforts to resolve them (native/indigenous, slow/urgent, novel/legacy, etc.)

Instructions for submission
Making Time For Plants; Marking The Temporalities, Rhythms And Durations Of Vegetal Life In Times Of Crisis.
Reference of the submission: A101582JA

As of November 16, the submission platform will be reopened to receive proposals (abstracts) for papers (oral and e-poster) until January 11, 2022 (included; no extension possible). A drop-down list will be proposed and colleagues will have to indicate the session in which they are submitting their abstract.

The session president or convener will receive after 11 January a summary table of the paper proposals for their session(s); you will have until 24 January to validate them or not. Authors afterword will be informed whether or not their proposal has been accepted.
https://www.ugiparis2022.org/<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ugiparis2022.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cjdmargulies%40ua.edu%7Cf80dd54c970c44c3fd8108d9a88468c5%7C2a00728ef0d040b4a4e8ce433f3fbca7%7C0%7C0%7C637726108952950928%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=oXF9nKeebMvZIawuxd%2F8Ig%2Fnti7AwdvoZOO1Teuqq%2BE%3D&reserved=0>

Best regards
Jenny

Dr Jennifer Atchison
Senior Lecturer and ARC Future Fellow
Associate Editor People and Nature
Academic Program Director Human Geography Honours

Australian Centre for Culture, Environment, Society and Space
School of Geography and Sustainable Communities
Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and the Humanities
Office 29.329 | University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
T +61 2 4221 4134
W https://scholars.uow.edu.au/display/jenny_atchison
Twitter: @DrJennyA

[pmc_strategic_marketing_and_communications$:MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS:SMC PROJECTS:LIVE:SMC UOW Rebrand 2016:1.0 Brand development:1.01 UOW Brand guidelines and assets:Logos:Primary:RGB:jpeg:UOW_Primary_RGB_Dark Blue.jpg]