SENIOR RESEARCHER AND PROJECT COORDINATOR IN ECOSYSTEM SERVICES
In the Singapore-ETH Centre (SEC) and Department of Geography, National University of Singapore (NUS)
INVITATION TO APPLY
The Singapore-ETH Centre (SEC) and Department of Geography at the National University of Singapore (NUS) invite applications for a Senior Research Fellow in tropical ecosystem services, to begin on 1 January
2018 or soon thereafter. The position will be for a period of 3 years, subject to performance review. The successful applicant will be the project coordinator for a multi-million dollar project on the topic of ‘A Natural Capital Assessment for Singapore’.
ABOUT THE RESEARCH PROJECT
The project is quantifying the economic, social, and cultural value of Singapore’s Natural Capital to inform future policy and urban development. This will be achieved by:
1. quantifying the current status of Singapore’s terrestrial and coastal-marine ecosystems
2. quantifying the value of Singapore’s terrestrial and coastal/marine ecosystems to Society
3. assessing tradeoffs between urban development (urban assets) and natural capital (natural assets)
4. assessing future policy and development opportunities that integrate natural capital
The Senior Research Fellow will have expertise in working on environmental and/or urban planning issues at the policy-academic interface. Previous experience in ecosystem services project coordination,
including overseeing the implementation of the project work plan. In addition, s/he will also coordinate the work of the Postdoctoral Fellows leading project work packages and ensure that project milestones are met. The candidate will also lead on conducting
and publishing strategic research aspects relevant to the project.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTIONS
The Singapore-ETH Centre was established in 2010 by ETH Zurich and Singapore's National Research Foundation, as part of its CREATE campus. The vibrant hub for research aims to provide practical solutions
to some of the most pressing problems through its programmes - Future Cities Laboratory and Future Resilient Systems.
The QS World University rankings place NUS in the top 15 universities in the world and number one in Asia. In the same rankings the Department of Geography is generally ranked among the top 10 Geography
programmes globally. Further information on the Department is available at: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
1. The appointment will be tenable for a period of three years
2. The position comes with competitive remuneration
3. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits
Applicants must hold an advanced graduate degree (preferably a PhD) and have substantial research experience, including research publications. Applicants must have significant experience in coordinating
and managing large research projects.
Interested scholars should submit the following via email to Dr. Dan Friess (email@example.com) and Prof Adrienne Gręt-Regamey (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 31st October 2017:
· Letter of application
· Curriculum vitae, with complete list of publications
· At least one sample of their published work
· A write-up, of no more than 800 words, explaining the candidate’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
· Please arrange for TWO referees to submit a confidential report on their academic standing and research directly to email@example.com. The referee reports should also reach us by 31st October
Applicants will be asked to appear for interview (including over SKYPE). For further information on the project contact the Lead PIs Dr. Dan Friess (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof Adrienne Gręt-Regamey
Dan Friess PhD : Assistant Professor : Department of Geography : National University of Singapore : +65 6516 1419 : www.themangrovelab.com : http://profile.nus.edu.sg/fass/geofd/
Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.